Monday, August 19, 2013

The Gift That Keeps on Giving


There’s been an interesting evolution in my birthday gifts to myself over the last three years. In the past, I might have bought myself a handbag at the Coach outlet or something similar. But, in 2011, the gifts got a lot more “Big Ticket.” It’s probably because, now that I’m on my own, I figured I’m the only person who’s really going to go all out for me (Keith always gets my what I ask him for, but I can’t ask for a really big ticket item – like the film editing software I wanted, but decided was too expensive!).

So, what have these gifts been? Well, we need to go back a little earlier for the start of the trend. In August of 2010, after I had bought my apartment, Keith and I went to our last Yankee game before I left for London. At the Stadium, we saw the pairs of seats from the old Yankee Stadium that they were selling as benches, etc. I already had my Monument Park brick, but those seats were tempting. Keith jokingly said, “Hey, Kris, you should buy those for your apartment. I responded, “Yeah, right. Where would I put them?” “On the balcony!” And . . . light bulb! What started out as a joke ended up as my birthday present the following summer. While I was still in London, I saw that they were having a half-price sale for Old Timer’s Day. So, I snapped up a pair of seats, and they are now nestled in the corner of my balcony.


Now, for 2012, I turned my attention to more girly things, and found myself craving some strappy, sparkly shoes. So, I took myself off to Saks with the intent of splurging on some Louboutins, with their shiny red soles. Alas, the Louboutins were not to be had – couldn’t find a pair I liked. But the salesman steered me toward some Jimmy Choos that are to die for! I have to say, so is the service at the shoe department at Saks, known as 10022-Shoe (http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/10022-shoe.js). I could get used to that type of service!


So how does one top Yankee Stadium seats and Jimmy Choo shoes in 2013? One buys oneself sperm, of course! Yes, once the decision on James Bond was made, it was time to place the order. Since I needed certain consent documents signed (which I did on the day of my “Day 3 Bloodwork” for this month), I didn’t get to place my order until the afternoon of August 12. That meant the vials would not ship until the next day, making the delivery date Thursday, August 15th – my birthday! Given certain other factors associated with my birthday, and this planned pregnancy (which I will get into when the time is right – sorry!), it just seemed so perfect that Mr. Bond would arrive at his temporary new home on that day (and, despite a subsequent miscommunication with the staff at RMA, he did arrive safe and sound!).



So, that’s a logical progression, right? Seats, shoes, sperm. Totally makes sense.


No comments:

Post a Comment